Scargill Infant SchoolPosted by
Scargill Infant School is a popular infant school in the London Borough of Havering. Ever mindful of changing times, the school keeps up to date with new technologies and recognises the importance of investment where improved conditions or practices can be delivered for the benefit of both staff and pupils.
Problems Identified Implementation
The school had a dated telephone system, which provided the school with little more than calls in andout, and an answerphone.
As a consequence school staff often found themselves working around the system, manually passing messages. The lack of functionality in the old telephone system meant that the reception and front office staff could often find themselves over-stretched at busy times.
They needed a system that provided better all-round communications for parents, suppliers and staff, was expandable, and future- proofed.
The school also required a solution that was intuitive, easy to learn and included time saving applications. Features such as auto-attendant and voicemail were key requirements for the busy primary school. For teachers, it was important to improve accessibility for parents.
Working closely with TTG, the team at the school, led by the Business Manager Jo Sladden, explored the different features that a new telephone system might deliver. Driving a typically tight school budget, Jo was keen to ensure that all solutions being evaluated should deliver cost savings over the existing solution, and make sound commercial sense for the approving Board of Governors at the school.
It was also identified that the school’s existing BT contract for lines and calls was far from cost efficient. TTG also had to show how the proposed final solution would deliver best value to Scargill Infant School.
“TTG and their Excell back office Engineers have been exceptional throughout the entire process”
TTG undertook a thorough assessment of the school’s existing telephone system and identified the key requirements before deciding the best fit solution for the School. The solution comprised:
• Toshiba CIX 40 Telephone System with integrated Voicemail
• Appropriate handsets for the different user types
• Free Fraud Protection
• Free call monitoring & Billing analysis tools
• Lines & Calls demonstrating 93% saving on existing BT contract
• Future proof for further applications and SIP / VOIP deployment
• Auto Attendant for helpful call routing
• A night service solution
• A ‘mobility’ solution for the caretaker
Excell Engineers installed the system over one weekend with zero disruption to the School.
Key benefits of the new system include:
• Intuitive features that the staff could use from day one
• Handsets and applications include shortcuts that speed up working processes
• Time-saving applications empower staff to become more productive
• The Toshiba feature phones also allows caller groups to be setup on the system, enabling a group of teachers to pick up calls for their colleagues and forward them on to guarantee no calls are missed – this is particularly important in an emergency situation.
• Absences are effectively managed by the school telephone system. Reported absences are recorded and delivered via the integrated voicemail inbox and then conveniently filed for future reference and retrieval.
• The night service deploys automatically and offers calling and answering options once the school office is closed at the end of the day or week.
• The caretaker has a mobility solution which provides free calls to other extensions on the school site.
All of this being delivered at a lower price than was being paid for the previous aged telephone system.
A crucial additional benefit has been the 93% savings achieved by switching the school’s line rentals and call packages to TTG.
“They listened to our needs and made suggestions, demonstrated the system before we committed to ensure all of the staff were happy with it and did several site surveys to ensure everything would run smoothly. In addition, they provided full training after installation. Their after care service has also been excellent.
Excell’s dedicated and highly skilled team of engineers are all CRB checked, and this was a huge positive as it enabled the installation work to start and complete without delay
The team at TTG provided a personal service that you rarely find these days. They installed a new telephone system for us with all the options we needed to ensure that our communication with parents and the wider community is effective and easy to use.”
Jo Sladden, Business Manager